Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Department of Psychology Congratulates All Recent Psychology Graduates!

At UMKC’s Spring 2010 Commencement, 64 students majoring in psychology received their Bachelor’s of Arts degree. While we are proud of the many accomplishments of all of our graduates, we want to particularly acknowledge several students whose extreme high academic achievement in both the general education requirement and those specific for the psychology major earned them Departmental Honors.

Departmental Honor Recipients Spring 2010
Justin Aarant, Alexandra Davis, Lacey Durbin, Sybil Hamm, Amy Karim, Katie Kenslow, Alexandra Kuestersteffen, Patti McGrannahan, Josie Tyrer
See some of our Departmental Honor recipients profiled below.

Alexandra Davis

I began my studies at UMKC the fall 2006. Upon graduating from UMKC I plan to attend the University of Nebraska Lincoln, Doctoral program in Developmental Psychology. Outside of school, I like to hang out with friends and family! I knew psychology was the major for me when I took general psychology my senior year of high school. I fell in love with it then and want to study it as long as I can! I attribute my high academic achievement to the opportunities that I had doing undergraduate research in my 490 with Dr. Murdock and Dr. Filion. Also, the support I received from my family. Some tips I would offer students, who are currently pursuing their psychology degree at UMKC, would be to get involved in research as much as possible and find what it is that really inspires you.

Lacey Durbin

I began my studies at UMKC the fall 2008. Upon graduating from UMKC I plan to start at Rockhurst University in their Occupational Therapy program. Outside of school, I like to travel back to Illinois to spend time with my family, read books, and spend time with my fiancé. I knew psychology was the major for me because I find the aspects of the mind very intriguing and wanted to learn more. I attribute my high academic achievement to the hard work that I put into striving to be the best that I can. My parents also instilled in me the idea of a good work ethic and always believed that I could do anything I set my mind to. Some tips I would offer students, who are currently pursuing their psychology degree at UMKC, would be to try to absorb as much information about psychology as possible because it is very intriguing and can be used in everyday life. Also enjoy the wonderful teachers who are there to help you reach your life goals.

Alexandra Kuestersteffen

No Picture Available

I began my studies at UMKC the fall 2008. Upon graduating from UMKC I plan to attend graduate school for Counseling Psychology. Outside of school, I like to read, bake, and volunteer at Rose Brooks and Kansas City Free Health Clinic. I am currently looking for a hobby, all the while driving my family and friends crazy with an overabundance of arts and crafts and/or sporting supplies. I knew psychology was the major for me because I've always wanted to help others with their problems, and counseling psychology felt like the best fit. I attribute my high academic achievement to my mom. She set high standards and helped me every day to achieve them. Some tips I would offer students, who are currently pursuing their psychology degree at UMKC, would be take as many psych electives as you can! It's a great way to help figure out what path is best for yourself.


Josie Tyrer

I began my studies at UMKC August 2006. Upon graduating from UMKC I plan to attend University of Alabama at Birmingham for graduate school. I have been accepted to their clinical Ph.D program and my focus will be in neuropsychology research. Outside of school, I like to be creative. I like to work with my hands e.g., cooking, drawing, sewing, bookbinding, throwing on the wheel. I knew psychology was the major for me when I took an AP psychology class in high school. It was a pretty fun and interesting class. The teacher I had also talked about studying psychology in college and was very enthusiastic about the topics we covered. I attribute my high academic achievement to always having the mindset that it’s my job. Some tips I would offer students, who are currently pursuing their psychology degree at UMKC, would be get involved in Psych 490 Directed Research, especially if you are serious about grad school.